Seven were shot at a party near Indiana’s Ball State University.
At least seven people were injured, three in a life-threatening fashion, in a shooting near Indiana’s Ball State University overnight.
According to local NBC affiliate WTHR, the shooting occurred at a large off-campus house party, with shots fired inside the house around 12:45 am. Police say they are still working to piece together what happened, as most witnesses heard but did not see the shooting.
What we know
- The shooting happened around 12:45 am Eastern Standard Time after an argument escalated, leading one attendee to withdraw his gun and start shooting.
- Three victims sustained life-threatening injuries, including one of who had to be air-lifted to Indianapolis. As of Saturday morning, six victims remained hospitalized, according to the Star Press, one of whom was both shot and struck by a vehicle.
- A 19-year-old suspect named VaShaun Harnett has been arrested, according to the Star Press, and has been charged with two counts of attempted murder. He is being held without bond in the Delaware County jail. He is not a BSU student, according to a statement released by the university.
- While not a school shooting per se, the incident occurred just west of the university at a party attended by many students. Ball State University put out an emergency alert, warning students to steer clear of the area, and campus police are assisting with investigations, CNN affiliate WTTV reports. Of the seven people injured, only one was a student of Ball State, CNN adds.
- Donald Trump has yet to comment, but former Indiana governor and current vice president Mike Pence traveled through Muncie while on his way to his commencement address at Taylor University. He commended law enforcement for their quick response.
Landed in Muncie, IN this morning and was briefed on last night’s shooting. I commend law enforcement for their quick response. My prayers are with the injured and their families. God bless them all.
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) May 18, 2019
What we don’t know
- The identities of the victims
- The shooters’ motives
Vox – All Go to Source
Powered by WPeMatico