Neighborhood is a responsive multi-purpose shop theme that provides a drag-and-drop page builder and an unlimited number of layouts and colors that will enable your eCommerce site to stand out. Neighborhood theme is fully compatible with WPML, which makes building your next multilingual eCommerce website an enjoyable experience.
What you need
- A recent version of WPML (version 3.3.6 or above), including the String Translation, Translation Management, Media Translation add-ons, and WooCommerce multilingual
- Neighborhood Theme (version 3.2.5 or above)
- WooCommerce (version 2.5.5 or above)
- WPML’s Getting Started Guide will help you to set up WPML in only a few minutes. You will want to refer later to some of its subtopics, such as Theme and Plugin Localization and String Translation. In addition, we suggest you refer to the WooCommerce Multilingual We recommend that these guides remain open while you follow this tutorial.
- Translating the Home page (Shop page).
- Translating products and product categories.
- Translating pages, posts, custom post types, and custom taxonomies
- Translating menus.
- Translating theme text and other strings.
- Install and activate Neighborhood.
- Install and activate the WPML plugins (WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media)
- Install and activate WooCommerce Multilingual.
- Set up WPML from WPML >> Languages. Refer to our WPML Getting Started Guide for complete reference.
Translating the Home page (Shop page)
Neighborhood theme comes with “Swift Page Builder,” which we will use in this tutorial to create our shop page.
Note the following:
The “Swift Page Builder” is a page layout builder that allows you to design and modify the layout as well as add functionality inside a single page and view from within the admin of that page.
In addition, please note that the WooCommerce plugin creates its own shop page.
You can perform the following steps to translate any page created with the “Swift Page Builder.”
To translate the shop page elements, navigate to “Pages” in WordPress dashboard, which shows columns for each active language and a icon (to add a translation) or a icon (to edit a translation) next to each page.
Translating products and product categories
You can translate products by following these steps:
Product categories can be translated by following these steps:
Translating pages, posts, custom post types, and custom taxonomies
Translating pages and posts can be accomplished by navigating to Pages or Posts on the WordPress dashboard and clicking on the icon to add the translated content to the secondary language.
Neighborhood theme comes with many custom post types (Portfolio, Team, Clients, Testimonials, Jobs, and FAQs). As an example, we will translate the custom post type “Portfolio” and the custom taxonomy “Portfolio Categories. These are preset to be translated by the language configuration file that we have created for the Neighborhood theme.
Translate portfolio categories
To translate custom taxonomies, follow these steps:
Using WPML, you can easily synchronize your language menus. For more information, please refer to the full translating menus tutorial.
Translating theme text and other strings
Theme strings can be scanned and registered for translation on the string translation screen. Read more about Theme and Plugin Localization.
This can be done by following these steps:
Note that translating the theme options can be accomplished by navigating to WPML >> String translation and searching for the strings within the domain “admin_texts_sf_neighborhood_options.”
If you need help using WPML with Neighborhood theme, please head over to our technical forum.
Before posting your concerns, we recommend that you review the following:
Neighborhood theme includes many features that will allow you to build a clean and professional eCommerce website. Its integration with WPML provides an easy interface to make your online store multilingual.
Read more here:: Translate Neighborhood Theme Using WPML